Lab Technician Courses 2024: Any medical cure begins only after testing and a precise diagnosis of the ailment. Based on the outcome of the test, the doctors advise treatment, cure, or carry out surgeries as needed by the patient, acting the part of a Medical Lab Technician an exceptionally crucial one. Without proper analysis and investigation, doctors cannot start the treatment of patients. Medical Lab Technicians not only possess comprehensive knowledge of medical and health sciences but also be well-versed and updated about the latest instruments and technologies.
Hence, pursuing this course after 12th in Science is a good idea for those who are interested in the field of health sciences. Here, in this post, you will learn about details of Lab Technician Courses such as their eligibility, fees, subjects, fees, etc.
Lab Technician Courses 2024 Overview
|Duration of course||2-4 Years|
|Eligibility requirements||12th Physics Chemistry Biology Mathematics with minimum 50% marks|
|Type of Examination||Semester-System|
|Admission process||Merit or Entrance-based|
|Top Recruiting Fields||Government and Private Colleges and Universities, Hospitals, Medical Content Writing, Pathology Labs, Blood Banks, Military Services, etc.|
|Average Starting Salary||Rs. 15,000-30,000 per month|
|Admission Period||April- July|
Parul University B.Sc Nursing Admission 2023 (Open)– Apply Here!!!
In order to secure admission (Pharmacy college/ university), all the institutions offer the same eligibility criteria for this course. The criteria which the aspirants need to satisfy for getting admission to this course are mentioned below:
- The student should be qualified 12th examination from a recognized educational board in India.
- It is essential for the aspirants to attain 45-50% marks in their intermediate examination.
- While there are some colleges that also offer admission based on the scores obtained in intermediate board examinations, there are many universities that organize the entrance tests and grant admission to the students on that basis.
- For candidates who wish to pursue this course abroad, then most of the universities also require them to pass the English language proficiency tests like TOEFL, IELTS, PTE, etc.
- Moreover, applicants have to submit well-written Letters of Recommendation (LOR) and a Statement of Purpose (SOP).
Lab Technician Roles and Responsibilities
A lab technician has to perform various roles and responsibilities. These are given below:
- Collection of specimens for instance urine, blood, sputum, stool, tissues, semen, and body fluids for various hematological, blood banking, pathological, microbiological, biochemical investigations etc.
- Proper diagnosis for better treatment.
- Early detection of disease- they make cultures of tissue samples and body fluids to check the presence of viruses, fungi, bacteria, etc.
- Carry out investigations for differential diagnosis.
- Control the development of communicable diseases.
- Carry out compound protein and nucleic acid testing on human cell samples.
- Type, collect and crossmatch blood; assemble its constituents for transfusions.
- Participate in National eradication programs such as HIV, Polio, etc.
- Management of medical disasters.
- Maintenance of records and assembling of statistics.
- Teaching fresh graduates of MLT as senior professionals.
- Manufacturing antisera and vaccines for instance meningitis, DPT, anti-snake venom, etc.
- Testing medicines, certifying them, drugs, anti-sera, reagents, etc.
- Research work.
This position comes with lucrative career benefits as their skills, knowledge, and operational area are condemning to the smooth functioning of the healthcare ecosystem overall. They can be employed in a multiplicity of positions. Here are some of the career options after completing this course:
- CT scan technicians
- MRI technicians
- X-ray technicians
- Dental machine technicians
- Operation theatre technicians
- Pathology technician
- Physiotherapy technicians
- Optical laboratory technician
- Renal dialysis technician
- Radiology technician
- Quality manager
Apart from this, there is vast employment available in research labs, pathology labs, pharmaceuticals, urologist offices, autonomous bodies, diagnostic centers, private clinics, and hospitals. Students can also pursue careers in the field of education, and chose to be a professor/ assistant professor or academician as per their goal.
Although the course curriculum or syllabus depends from the course to course at different levels, a list of all the important subjects that are covered in this course is given below:
- Microbiology (General Bacteriology, Clinical Microbiology, System Bacteriology)
- Pathology (Immunohematology, Hematology, Blood Banking)
- Community Medicine
- Human Anatomy
- Human Physiology
- Fundamentals of MLT Basic Pathology
- Basics of clinical Biochemistry
- Fundamental Biochemistry
- Basic Human Science Microbial Instrumentation
- English Communications
- Information and Communication Technology
- Professional Activities Community Development
- Human Physiology
- Histopathological Techniques
- Clinical Hematology
- Metabolic and Technical Biochemistry
- Clinical Microbiology
- Technical Microbiology
- Clinical Pathology
- Pathology Lab
After pursuing this course, an entry-level professional can make up between INR 25000-35000 per month which increases to Rs.1.5-2.5 lakhs per month with growth in rank and experience, after pursuing the MLT course after 10+2.
Top Colleges Offering Lab Technician Courses in India
In the below section, we have provided the list of the top colleges in India that offer this course:
- Adesh Institute of Medical Science & Research
- Abhinav Institute of Technology & Management
- Academy of Medical Sciences
- Asian Institute of Health
- Baba Sahib Ambedkar Institute of Technology and Management
- University of Calicut
- University of Mumbai
- Annamalai Devadoss Institute of Medical Science
- DN Institute of Paramedical Sciences
- ITM- Institute of Health Sciences
- Tata Institute of Social Sciences
- Delhi Institute of Technology and Paramedical Sciences
- Rajiv Gandhi Paramedical Institute
- Dr. Zakir Hussain Institute
- St. John’s Medical College